October 2018 we attended the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Application of Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice 5 day conference. Training alongside GP’s, Medical Specialist and Nutritionists, but what is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is a systems biology–based approach that focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease. Each symptom or differential diagnosis may be one of many contributing to an individual’s illness.
A diagnosis can be the result of more than one cause. For example, depression can be caused by many different factors, including inflammation. Likewise, a cause such as inflammation may lead to a number of different diagnoses, including depression. The precise manifestation of each cause depends on the individual’s genes, environment, and lifestyle, and only treatments that address the right cause will have lasting benefit beyond symptom suppression.
During this intensive 5 day training we were presented with tools, studies and lectures that included:
- Modulating Women’s Hormones
- Root Causes of Gut Dysfunction
- Immune Dysfunction and Inflammation
- Food Allergies, Sensitivities and Intolerances
- Functional Approaches to Cardio-Metabolic Disease
- Assessment and Treatment of Adrenal Dysfunction
- Testosterone Deficiency in Men
- Clinical Integration of Functional Nutrition and Lifestyle Change
We are proud to be graduates of this event, and can’t wait to apply our knowledge in clinic!
You can find us both listed on the Practitioners Directory (click on the images below)
We even got to meet the very charming Dr Rangan Chatterjee, author of the Four Pillar Plan.